The LSL Registry allows all professionals seeking certification to upload their certification materials and track their progress in real time. The uploading of your documents over time will ease the paperwork burden on you. The LSL Registry will be a place to upload and track certification documents over the three-to-five-year certification period. Applying for the LSL Registry allows the Academy to quickly review education background and mentor requirements so that any issues or concerns can be addressed at the beginning of the certification process.
Step 1. Apply to the LSL Registry
All professionals who are just beginning the process towards certification must first apply to the LSL Registry before engaging in any certification-related activities. If you have already begun the process towards certification but have not enrolled in the Registry, please contact the Academy at email@example.com as soon as possible.
Once approved for enrollment in the Registry, a professional is eligible to take the certification exam. In other words, a professional must be enrolled in order to take the exam and can take the exam at any time during their certification process.
A. Create a profile.
B. Complete the enrollment application and upload required documents.
For professionals seeking certification, there is required documentation that professionals must share in order to successfully enroll in the LSL Registry. It will be important to have these documents ready in PDF format before you begin the enrollment process:
- Official transcript (in English or Spanish) of professional degree in audiology, speech-language pathology or education of children who are deaf or hard of hearing
- International applicants must include an official academic evaluation from an accredited agency
- State or Provincial license or other document that allows you to legally practice in your geographic location in the field of Audiology or Speech-Language Pathology, Education of Children who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing or equivalent
- Professional credential information (e.g. Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology or Speech-Language Pathology from ASHA or equivalent; For applicants practicing in a country where licensing is unavailable or unnecessary to practice, the applicant is required to submit a letter from their university indicating that their degree meets the Academy’s requirements.)
Further details about these requirements are found in the Certification Handbook.
In addition, you will be required to identify your selected Certified LSLS mentor. Professionals who enroll in the Registry should plan to begin working with their mentor right away.
C. Submit Enrollment Fee
The cost of certification is divided into three separate fees due during the three-to-five year certification process:
- LSL Registry Enrollment Fee (due immediately following submission of enrollment application)
- LSLS Certification Examination Fee (due immediately following submission of request to take examination form)
- Award of Certification Fee (due once all requirements for certification have been met)
Full fee information can be found here.
Your documentation will be reviewed by the Academy within two weeks of completion. Once your enrollment has been approved by the Academy, you will be able to begin uploading certification application materials as you complete them.
Step 2. Document Your Certification Process As You Go
The LSL Registry will be a place to upload and track certification documents over the three-to-five-year certification period. All required documents can be found in the Certification Handbook and online on the Become a LSL Specialist overview page.
Professionals seeking certification will be able to take the certification exam at any time within the three-to-five-year period without waiting for all documents to be completed, submitted, and approved. When ready, a professional can send a request to take the examination within the LSL Registry.
Professionals who enroll in the Registry should plan to begin working with their mentor right away. Once you start the certification process, that professional has up to 6 months to complete the first F-1 form.